True Beacon CEO detests WFH | Economic Times - Jobs World

Best job in the world

Find a job

Thursday, July 29, 2021

True Beacon CEO detests WFH | Economic Times

Richard Pattle LVO, Co-founder and CEO, True Beacon was meant to be on a short visit to Bangalore in March last year, at the time of the initial lockdown. "I was very fortunate to be staying at my favourite hotel in the city - The Oberoi - and thought I would be staying for a few weeks. Five months later, I finally checked out. Like all families separated during the lockdown, we relied upon technology to link up my family in the US and UK. I was already a committed Zoomer, but we managed to keep connected despite the time zones," he shares. Skill SetPattle admits he detests working from home (or hotel) - he is one of these people who needs in-person interaction to thrive. "So, it was a relief for me (if not my team) when offices opened in India. On the one hand, as an ex-military guy I love routine in my life - everything from getting up at the same time each day, to what I eat. On the other hand, I love adventure. My ultimate stressbuster is a run around Cubbon Park in Bangalore. The lockdown has meant I have had more sustained time in India and, once the lockdown eased, I was able to explore the south of the country a little on my prized Royal Enfield motorbike," he says.Got JabbedPattle was fortunate to be vaccinated on the first day he became eligible in India - 1st April. "It was very well organised and seamless. I still find it more difficult to lead in two dimensions over a Zoom, but I’ve had to adapt my style to find more frequent touch points with each of the True Beacon Team. Not a working day has gone by in the last 16 months when we have not had a brief True Beacon Team meeting, which has served to cement the team," he says.Pattle has always been a huge global traveller in his different chapters in the military, working for the British Royal Family and as Vice Chairman of Standard Chartered Private Bank. "I long for the freedom to jump on an aircraft at a couple of hours’ notices. Staying at the Oberoi with a handful of guests and a remarkable team looking after me, I do not feel I can complain. It makes you realise how little ‘stuff’ you need in life," he says.Challenge ChartPattle's teenage children in London started a ‘Pandemic Planks’ fitness initiative in April last year to raise money for Oxford University’s Covid vaccine research. "I was roped in and used to do a virtual competition with them even though they are much fitter and would beat me daily. I am looking forward to seeing my family and friends more than anything else. I have come to realise that these are the key things that sustain you in life - and lack of freedom to travel has been so inhibiting," he says.For the first time in the last 15 years, Pattle has had a routine, in the same place, which has meant working out is easier and better. "I still need a trainer to motivate me and, of course, make sure I do not explore the delicious Oberoi menu too much," he ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Airlines hoping for more Boeing jets could be waiting awhile