Prateek Kuhad calls toxic masculinity a turn-off | Economic Times - Jobs World

Best job in the world

Find a job

Saturday, August 28, 2021

Prateek Kuhad calls toxic masculinity a turn-off | Economic Times

Critically acclaimed singer-songwriter Prateek Kuhad recently launched his quartet EP ‘Shehron Ke Raaz’. Translated to ‘secrets of cities’, the four-track collection was recorded earlier this year at Mumbai’s celebrated Yashraj Studios. In a chat with ET Panache, Kuhad talks about how his creativity took a hit in the lockdown, what’s on his playlist and how vulnerability in men and women shouldn’t be judged.What are the things you have missed because of the pandemic?PK: I guess, travelling was one thing. It’s weird that before the pandemic I was travelling a lot because of touring that I was getting sick of it. But being locked up in one house for so many months made me really crave that the most. Like having the freedom to travel and go wherever you want.Has the pandemic stifled or accelerated your creativity?PK: The pandemic has definitely stifled my creativity. I was happier and calmer and healthier in a lot of ways, but not necessarily creatively.What inspired your new EP?PK: It’s hard to say what inspired it. I wrote the songs for Shehron Ke Raaz over the past few years, and I write a lot and I picked these four songs as they work well together as a unit. They all talk about love in a specific way.How hard was it to quit your job and focus on being an artist? What was your aha moment?PK: I actually got fired. I could have gotten another job, and I thought about doing that, but then I thought that I shouldn’t since music was something I wanted to do, so it made sense to jump in on the deep end and see what happens.You made it to Obama’s playlist! Congratulations. What did it feel like when you heard the newsPK: It was a cool moment. I spoke to my managers first, everyone was really excited. I was at home with my family and my girlfriend post a hectic touring season when I got the alert via Twitter, so it was completely out of the blue. My girlfriend organised a little cake and we celebrated, but nothing major.People say your music makes them feel things – what makes you emotional?PK: A lot of things make me emotional. Too much happiness can make me emotional, too much sadness can make me emotional, sometimes just reading a book or watching a film. I'm a very emotional person so most things make me emotional.Who are some of the artists you are currently listening to?PK: The Bleachers (Jack Antonoff’s project), the record he just put out is amazing. Been listening to a lot of indie pop otherwise. Do you think the Indian music scene has changed in the last decade for independent artists?PK: I don’t think the Independent scene has changed that drastically over the past decade. It’s definitely grown, and there’s definitely more people listening to Independent Music over the past 8 to 9 years. I think the best thing for the independent scene is to have a little separation from film. I almost think music is so attached for us as listeners in India to film that we don’t look at it as it’s own thing. If you see anywhere else in the world, they have their own music industry and they have their own artists and bands and people listen to the music, watch their videos, show up on their tours etc. None of this has any attachment to film, so I feel we are too attached to Bollywood that it really stifles the way musicians can function in their own autonomy. 85714209If you had to choose: would you rather have your heart broken or break someone’s heart?PK: Definitely, rather have my heart broken as breaking someone’s heart gives you a lot of guilt. I wouldn’t want to do it, I’ve done it before, but I wouldn’t do it again.What advice would you give someone who has had their heart broken?PK: I don’t know if there’s a cure. I don’t have any advice for anyone who’s had their heart broken. It’s a difficult question and everyone’s trying to figure their own answer to that question. I don’t necessarily listen to music when I have a heart break. I go out or watch some movies.You're honest with your emotions – something men, particularly in India, aren’t used to. What advice would you give them?PK: I guess, not just in India, but men in general are bad at being vulnerable. There is no need to hesitate about being emotional, as we’re all humans and there’s no difference beyond a point and we all get affected the same way, we all should be able to express it the same way. Gender shouldn’t have a role to play in how you’re judged with expressing your emotions.What is your take on toxic masculinity?PK: I think it’s quite prevalent and I think we should talk about it more so we can do something about it. Because toxic masculinity is damaging and very turning off.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Airlines hoping for more Boeing jets could be waiting awhile