Ashwini Ponnappa shares her pre-match routine | Economic Times - Jobs World

Best job in the world

Find a job

Monday, June 7, 2021

Ashwini Ponnappa shares her pre-match routine | Economic Times

On game day, badminton player Ashwini Ponnappa wakes up eager to get ready for the match. It’s a nervous excitement. "I like running through my opponents match and making sure I get warmed up well before getting into the game. I love listening to music, that’s a great way for me to get into the game mode," she says.The 31-year-old shuttler is on the cusp of qualifying for the Tokyo Games in a couple of months. But the Covid scenario has forced the World Badminton Federation (BWF) to indefinitely postpone all events.This means Ponnappa will miss out on both mixed and women’s doubles spots unless there is some change in the qualification criterion given the situation. Meal dealBut no matter the odds, Ponnappa is always on point when it comes to her pre match routine and preparation. Depending on what time her match is she eats accordingly. "If it’s post noon, I make sure to eat a good breakfast of what’s being served at the hotel. Bread, cheese, fruits, Bircher muesli. If it’s the first match of the day i.e. 9:30 am, it’s a fruit or fruit bar," she shares.Ponnappa doesn’t put too much thought into what she needs more. "As long as I make sure not to eat too much before my match, I’m good to go. My favourite healthy meal is a smoothie bowl. I don’t eat anything unless I feel I need something. Then it could be a bite of nutri bar or banana. But most times I don’t eat anything before stepping onto court," she says. Boost needsThe badminton player doesn’t drink coffee or tea, Red Bull is the only form of caffeine she takes. "It definitely helps when I need to be alert and I consume some before my match. Especially when I’ve got two matches, or if I’ve been sitting at the stadium for a long time, or I’m jet lagged, it gives me a nice boost of energy and alertness," she says.When it comes to eating, Ponnappa doesn’t have a strict diet plan. It’s eating everything but in moderation. There hasn’t been a need for a cheat meal. She even cooks her food when at home ans this was her routine during the lockdown last year. She also mixed working out with his dogs in addition to other fitness training that she did."So If I’m craving something sweet I do have something sweet. The important thing for me is making sure not to go overboard," she ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Airlines hoping for more Boeing jets could be waiting awhile